[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Binghamton geometry/topology seminar

Ross Geoghegan ross at math.binghamton.edu
Thu Nov 11 17:01:22 EST 2004

                   BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

   Date: Thursday  November 18, 2004

   Time:  2.50 pm

   Place: Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson
          Reading Room.

   Speaker:  Paul Loya (Binghamton)

   Title: On the gluing problem or Mayor-Vietoris sequence for the spectral
       invariants of Dirac operators

   Abstract:

Over the past several years there has much research activity in
understanding the behavior of the spectral invariants of Dirac-type
operators under gluing, or surgery, of the underlying Riemannian
manifold. This has resulted in the search for gluing (also called pasting
or Mayer-Vietoris) formulas for these invariants and has been motivated
both by geometers and by mathematical physicists because of the role
of these invariants in Ray-Singer conjectures and the development of
topological quantum field theory.  For my lecture I will discuss joint
work with Jinsung Park where we solve the gluing problems for the eta
invariant and zeta-regularized determinant of Dirac type operators.

NOTE:  The seminar has a webpage where the semester's program is listed:

http://math.binghamton.edu/MATH/dept/topsem/index.html

It can also be linked from the Department's Home Page.