[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] geometry-topology

Ross Geoghegan ross at math.binghamton.edu
Fri Mar 11 09:36:55 EST 2005

                   BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

Date:  Thursday March 17, 2005.

Time:  2.50 pm

Place:   Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson
         Reading Room.

Speaker: Paul Loya (Binghamton)

Title: Eta invariants for manifolds with cone points (2)
       (Second of two talks)

Abstract:

The "signature" or eta invariant originally appeared as the boundary
correction term of the famous index formula of Atiyah, Patodi, and Singer,
but since this seminal paper, the study of the eta invariant has taken
off with a life of its own. In this talk, I will give a very gentle
introduction to the Atiyah-Patodi-Singer index formula, then I'll focus
on the eta invariant and some of its properties, but for the bulk of the
talk I'll discuss some remarkable properties of manifolds that have cone
points and their eta invariants.

NOTE:  The seminar has a webpage where the semester's program is listed:

http://math.binghamton.edu/MATH/dept/topsem/index.html

It can also be linked from the Department's Home Page.
IF YOU WANT TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS EMAIL LIST WRITE
ross at math.binghamton.edu