[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] (no subject)

Ross Geoghegan ross at math.binghamton.edu
Thu Nov 10 22:55:12 EST 2005

                   BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

   Date: Thursday November 17, 2005

   Time:  2.50 pm

   Speaker: Francesco Matucci (Florence and Cornell)

   Title: The Simultaneous Conjugacy Problem for Thompson's Group F

Abstract:
I will discuss an alternative approach to the Conjugacy Problem of
Thompson's Group F which, unlike the usual one using diagram groups, is
also applicable to the group of piecewise-linear orientation-preserving
homeomorphisms of the unit interval with a finite number of breakpoints
(often denoted with PL_0(I)). These techniques can be used to solve the
Simultaneous Conjugacy Problem (Joint work with Martin Kassabov).

   Place: Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson
          Reading Room.

NOTE:  The seminar has a webpage where the semester's program is listed:

http://math.binghamton.edu/MATH/dept/topsem/index.html

It can also be linked from the Department's Home Page.
IF YOU WANT TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS EMAIL LIST WRITE
ross at math.binghamton.edu