[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] (no subject)

Ross Geoghegan ross at math.binghamton.edu
Thu Feb 9 22:01:12 EST 2006

                   BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

   Date:  Thursday February 16, 2006

   Time:  2.50 pm

   Place: Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson
          Reading Room.

   Speaker: Paul Loya (Binghamton)

   Title:
      Exotic expansions and pathological properties of zeta-functions on
      conic manifolds

Abstract: This talk will be accessible to graduate students of all
levels. In my talk, I give an introduction to zeta functions associated
to manifolds that are generalizations of the Riemann zeta function. I
will give a general overview of how they are defined and what they are
used for (for example, how they can used to understand geometrical
aspects of manifolds). Then I will discuss new exotic phenomena of
zeta-functions associated to conic manifolds (like cones in R^3). It
turns out that the meromorphic extensions of these zeta-functions have
very strange properties. In particular, they have, in general, countably
many logarithmic branch cuts on the nonpositive real axis and unusual
locations of poles with arbitrarily large multiplicities. I present
simple examples illustrating these strange properties.

NOTE:  The seminar has a webpage where the semester's program is listed:

http://math.binghamton.edu/MATH/dept/topsem/index.html

It can also be linked from the Department's Home Page.
IF YOU WANT TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS EMAIL LIST WRITE
ross at math.binghamton.edu