[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] (no subject)

Ross Geoghegan ross at math.binghamton.edu
Sat Apr 7 10:26:14 EDT 2007

               BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

            NOTE THAT THIS IS THE SECOND SEMINAR THIS WEEK

   Date: Thursday  April 12, 2007

   Time:  2.50 pm

   Place: Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson
          Reading Room.

   Speaker: Nansen Petrosyan (Indiana University)

   Title: Jumps in Cohomology of Groups and Group Actions

Abstract:
A discrete group G has periodic cohomology if there is an element in
a cohomology group, cup product with which induces an isomorphism
in cohomology after certain dimension. Adem and Smith showed that
this condition is equivalent to the existence of a finite dimensional
free-G-CW-complex homotopy equivalent to a sphere. It was conjectured
by Talelli, that if G is also torsion-free then it must have finite
cohomological dimension. In this talk I will use the implied condition
of jump cohomology to verify the conjecture for certain classes of
groups. I will also show several finiteness properties for groups that
act on finite dimensional complexes with certain cohomological conditions.

NOTE:  The seminar has a webpage where the semester's program is listed:

http://math.binghamton.edu/MATH/dept/topsem/index.html

It can also be linked from the Department's Home Page.
IF YOU WANT TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS EMAIL LIST WRITE
ross at math.binghamton.edu