[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] (no subject)

Marco Varisco marco at math.binghamton.edu
Tue Apr 22 10:10:52 EDT 2008

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR
  http://www.math.binghamton.edu/dept/topsem/

Date:  Thursday, April 24, 2008

Time:  2:50 pm

Place:  Library North 2205
  (followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading Room)

Speaker:  Enrique Torres (University of Rochester)

Title:  Commuting Elements and Group Cohomology

Abstract:  In this talk I will describe the construction of a natural
filtration of the classifying space of a group defined by means of the
lower central series of free groups. We will discuss some of their
main properties, some examples and some (potential) applications.