[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] (no subject)

Marco Varisco marco at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Feb 4 17:59:58 EST 2008

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR
  http://www.math.binghamton.edu/dept/topsem/

Date: Thursday, February 7, 2008

Time: 2:50 pm

Place: Library North 2205
  (followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading Room)

Speaker: Bradley Forrest  (Cornell University)

Title: Degree complexes in Auter space

Abstract: Auter space, a cousin of Marc Culler and Karen Vogtmann's
Outer space, was introduced by Allen Hatcher and Vogtmann in 1998.  In
this introduction, Hatcher and Vogtmann defined subspaces of Auter
space called the degree complexes, which act like skeleta for Auter
space.  In this talk, I will present applications of the degree
complexes including a presentation for Aut(F_n), the automorphism
group of the free group on n generators, and discuss minimality
properties of these complexes.  In the spirit of minimizing
prerequisites, I will present definitions for both Auter space and the
degree complexes.