[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] (no subject)

Marco Varisco marco at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Feb 18 10:49:44 EST 2008

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR
  http://www.math.binghamton.edu/dept/topsem/

Date: Thursday, February 21, 2008

Time: 2:50 pm

Place: Library North 2205
  (followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading Room)

Speaker: Seonhee Lim (Cornell University)

Title: Volume entropy rigidity for buildings

Abstract: Volume entropy of a Riemannian manifold is the exponential
growth rate of the volumes of balls. Entropy rigidity for rank-1
Riemannian manifolds is known: a theorem of Besson-Courtois-Gallot
says that the locally symmetric metrics attain minimal volume entropy
among all Riemannian metrics. In this talk, we are interested in
entropy rigidity for buildings, especially hyperbolic ones. We will
give several characterizations of the volume entropy, analogous to the
ones for trees, that will help us to find some lower bound on volume
entropy. This is a joint work with Francois Ledrappier.