[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] April 2

Marco Varisco marco at math.binghamton.edu
Sun Mar 29 14:18:04 EDT 2009

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR
  http://www.math.binghamton.edu/dept/topsem/

Date:  Thursday, April 2, 2009

Time:  2:50 pm

Place:  Library North 2205
  (followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading Room)

Speaker:  Justin Moore (Cornell University)

Title:  Fast growth in Følner sets for Thompson's group F

Abstract:  While it is not known whether Thompson's group F is
amenable, I will establish a lower bound on the cardinality of Følner
sets. In particular, I will demonstrate the following: There is a
constant C>1 such that if A is a C^{-4^n}-Følner set in F, then A
contains at least H(n) elements, where H(0)=0 and H(n+1)=2H(n).