[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] 3 talks this week

Marco Varisco marco at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Nov 9 10:04:13 EST 2009

Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar
http://www.math.binghamton.edu/dept/topsem/

Three talks are scheduled for this week: one at the usual time on
Thursday, and two Friday afternoon.

-- First talk --

Date: Thursday, November 12, 2009

Time: 2:50-3:50 pm

Place: Library North 2205
(followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading Room)

Speaker: Matt Rathbun (University of California, Davis)

Title: High distance knots in any 3-manifold

Abstract: Let M be a closed 3-manifold with a given Heegaard
splitting. We show that after a single stabilization, some core of the
stabilized splitting has arbitrarily high distance with respect to the
splitting surface. This generalizes a result of Minsky, Moriah, and
Schleimer for knots in S3. We also show that in the complex of curves,
handlebody sets are either coarsely distinct or identical. We define
the coarse mapping class group of a Heegaard splitting, and show that
if (S,V,W) is a Heegaard splitting of genus at least 4, then
CMCG(S,V,W)=MCG(S,V,W). This is joint work with Marion Moore.

-- Second talk --