[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] October 1

Marco Varisco marco at math.binghamton.edu
Fri Sep 25 23:49:08 EDT 2009

Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar
http://www.math.binghamton.edu/dept/topsem/

Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009

Time: 2:50 pm

Place: Library North 2205
(followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading Room)

Speaker: Dan Staley (Rutgers University)

Title: Thompson's group F and uniformly finite homology

Abstract: This talk will discuss using uniformly finite homology or
“Ponzi schemes” as a tool to study the geometry of Thompson's group F.
We will see how we can use this tool with two-way forest diagrams to
show that certain subgraphs of the Cayley Graph of F are not amenable.
This gives some sense of what a positive measure subset of F would
have to look like if F is amenable.