[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] December 9 (last seminar of the semester!)

Lucas Sabalka sabalka at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Dec 6 14:12:00 EST 2010

                  BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

Date:  Thursday, December 9, 2010
Time:  2:50-3:50pm
Place:  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson
         Reading Room.

Speaker:  Brent Solie (UIUC)
Title:  Statistical and Algorithmic Properties of Filling Elements

Abstract:  Filling elements are a natural free group analogue to the
surface-theoretic notion of a filling curve. However, unlike filling
curves, very little is known about filling elements. We will discuss a
partial algorithm to identify filling elements in a free group. We will
also give a proof that filling is the typical behavior of elements in a
free group.