[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] October 14

Lucas Sabalka sabalka at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Oct 11 11:09:30 EDT 2010

                  BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

Note:  Matt Brin and Zoran Sunic have switched the order of their talks --
this week, Zoran Sunic will speak, while next week, Matt Brin will speak.

Date:  Thursday, October 14, 2010
Time:  2:50-3:50pm
Place:  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson
         Reading Room.

Speaker:  Zoran Sunic (Texas A&M U)
Title:  Hanoi Twin Towers

Abstract:  We present results related to a certain self-similar group of
rooted tree automorphisms modeling the classical Hanoi Towers Problem. Some
results concern the structure of the group (e.g., being a branch group
without the FA property), while some represent applications of our
understanding of this structure (e.g., we solve the Hanoi Twin Towers
Problem).