[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] September 30

Lucas Sabalka sabalka at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Sep 27 16:41:07 EDT 2010

                  BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

  Date: Thursday 30 September, 2010

  Time:  2.50 pm

  Place: Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson
         Reading Room.

  Speaker: Hee Jung Kim (Binghamton University)

  Title: Double point surgery and exotic group actions in 4-manifolds

  Abstract:
  I will introduce a new operation, double point surgery, on immersed
surfaces in a 4-manifold, and use it to construct knotted configurations of
surfaces in many 4-manifolds. Applying the double point surgery to the
branch set of branched covers, we produce smoothly exotic actions of Z/m x
Z/n on simply connected 4-manifolds with complicated fixed-point sets.