[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Dec 1

Dmytro Savchuk dsavchuk at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Nov 28 16:00:06 EST 2011

                   BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

This week, we will have our second lecturer in our *Dean's Speaker Series
in Geometry and Topology*, Igor Mineyev of University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign.

*Date:*  Thursday, Dec 1, 2011
*Time:*  2:50-3:50pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading
Room.

*Speaker:*  Igor Mineyev (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
*Title:*  Submultiplicativity and the Hanna Neumann Conjecture
***
Abstract:
*We will present a proof of the Strengthened Hanna Neumann Conjecture
(SHNC), and some more general results. We will mention trees, forests,
flowers, gardens, and leafages. Submultiplicativity is a generalization of
the statement of SHNC from graphs to complexes, and from free groups to
more general groups. Submultiplicativity holds for complexes under an
additional assumption: the deep-fall property. This property is related to
the Atiyah Conjecture, a problem from analysis.