[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Sep 8 (note unusual time)

Dmytro Savchuk dsavchuk at math.binghamton.edu
Tue Sep 6 14:37:34 EDT 2011

                   BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

This week, we will have our first seminar of the semester as well as our
first lecturer in our *Dean's Speaker Series in Geometry and Topology*, Dan
Knopf of University of Texas at Austin.

*Date:*  Thursday, Sep 8, 2011
*Time:*  4:30-5:30pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading
Room.

*Speaker:*  Dan Knopf (U Texas at Austin)
*Title:*  Ricci flow through singularities
***
Abstract:
*We construct and describe smooth forward Ricci flow evolutions of singular
initial metrics resulting from rotationally symmetric neckpinches, without
performing an intervening surgery. In the restrictive context of rotational
symmetry, our construction gives evidence in favor of Perelman's hope for a
"canonically defined Ricci flow through singularities." (This is joint work
with Sigurd Angenent and Cristina Caputo.)