[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] May 10 (Dean's Speaker)

Dmytro Savchuk dsavchuk at math.binghamton.edu
Mon May 7 15:17:03 EDT 2012

                   BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

This week, we will have our last seminar meeting, combined with *Dean's
Speaker Series in Geometry and Topology.* Our speaker is Lee Mosher of
Rutgers University - Newark.

*Date:*  Thursday, May 10, 2012
*Time:*  2:50-3:50pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading
Room.

*Speaker:* Lee Mosher (Rutgers University - Newark)
*Title:*  Hyperbolicity of the free splitting complex*

Abstract:*  A free splitting a finite rank free group F is a minimal action
of F on a simplicial tree T with trivial edge stabilizers. The free
splitting complex of F is a simplicial complex with one 0-simplex for each
free splitting of F having 1 orbit of natural edges (modulo F-equivariant
homeomorphism), and more generally one k-simplex for each free splitting
with k+1 orbits of natural edges. We prove that the free splitting complex
of F, when equipped with its simplicial metric, is a hyperbolic metric
space. This is a joint work with M.Handel.