[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Geometry & Topology Seminar

somnath at math.binghamton.edu somnath at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Oct 15 00:02:16 EDT 2012

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

*Date:*  Thursday, Oct 18, 2012

*Time:*  2:50-3:50pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading
Room.

*Speaker: ** *Jeremy Miller (City University of New York)
*Title: *The topology of the space of J-holomorphic maps to CP^2
 *
Abstract:* In the 1970's, Graeme Segal proved that the space of
holomorphic maps from a Riemann surface to a complex projective space is
homology equivalent to the corresponding continuous mapping space through
a range of dimensions increasing with degree. I will address if a similar
result holds when other almost complex structures are put on projective
space. For CP^2, I prove that the inclusion map from the space of
J-holomorphic maps to the space of continuous maps induces a homology
surjection through a range of dimension tending to infinity with degree.
The proof involves comparing the scanning map of topological chiral
homology (Salvatore, Lurie, Andrade) with gluing of J-holomorphic curves
(Floer, McDuff-Salamon, Sikorav).