[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Geometry/Topology Seimnar

somnath at math.binghamton.edu somnath at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Sep 10 15:15:01 EDT 2012

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

*Date:*  Thursday, Sep 13, 2012

*Time:*  2:50-3:50pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson Reading
Room.

*Speaker: ** *Collin Bleak (University of St. Andrews, UK)
*Title: *On small presentations for the higher-dimensional Brin-Thompson
groups nV
 *
Abstract:* We show that all of the higher-dimensional Brin-Thompson
groups nV are 2-generated, and outline work in progress towards giving
small presentations of these finitely-presented, infinite simple groups.
Along the way, we will discuss various approaches to building small
presentations for groups in general, and groups in the extended Thompson
family in particular. This is joint work with Martyn Quick.