[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Geometry & Topology Seminar

somnath at math.binghamton.edu somnath at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Apr 28 11:02:03 EDT 2014

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

*Date:*  Thursday, May 1st, 2014

*Time:*  2:50-3:50pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson
Reading Room.

*Speaker: ** *Tam Nguyen-Phan (Binghamton University)
*Title: * Ends of finite volume, negatively curved manifolds

*Abstract:* Let M be an oriented, noncompact, complete, Riemannian
manifold. Gromov proved that if the sectional curvature of M negative and
bounded, and if the volume of M is finite, then M is homeomorphic to the
interior of a compact manifold \overline{M} with boundary B. I will
discuss the question what manifold B can be. I will prove that when M has
dimension 4, each boundary component of \overline{M} is aspherical.