[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Geometry & Topology Seminar

somnath at math.binghamton.edu somnath at math.binghamton.edu
Tue Mar 18 13:13:10 EDT 2014

BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

*Date:*  Thursday, March 20th, 2013

*Time:*  2:50-3:50pm
*Place:*  Library North 2205 followed by coffee/tea in the Anderson
Reading Room.

*Speaker: ** *Adam Knapp (American University)
*Title: * Cotangent bundles of open 4-manifolds

*Abstract:*  Given a smooth manifold, we get a natural symplectic
structure on its cotangent bundle. In certain cases, we can obtain
invariants of the smooth structure of the base from symplectic invariants
of the cotangent bundle. I will give a short introduction to exotic smooth
structures on some open 4-manifolds and show that their cotangent bundles
are symplectically equivalent in a natural way.