[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Correction on the date of Geometry/Topology seminar this Thursday

Tam Nguyen Phan tam at math.binghamton.edu
Sun Mar 29 12:27:22 EDT 2015

I sent out an announcement about the Geometry/Topology seminar this
Thursday with the wrong date. The correct date is April 2. Below is the
correct seminar info.

  BINGHAMTON GEOMETRY/TOPOLOGY SEMINAR

   Date: Thursday, April 2, 2015

   Time:  2.50 pm

   Place: Whitney Hall, Room 100E,  followed by coffee/tea in the
      Hilton Reading Room. Note the new location of the math department (
http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions).

   Speaker: Jim Belk (Bard College)
   Title:  Rearrangement Groups of Fractals

   Abstract: The definition of Thompson's group  depends crucially on the
self-similar structure of the unit interval. In this talk, I will describe
a family of Thompson-like groups that act on a variety of self-similar
structures. Each of these groups has an associated CAT(0) cubical complex,
analogous to the Farley complexes for , , and . By analyzing descending
links on these complexes, I will show that some of these groups have type .
This is joint work with Bradley Forrest.

NOTE:  The seminar has a webpage where the semester's program is listed:

http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/seminars/topsem