[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Dean's Lecture in Geometry and Topology

Tam Nguyen Phan tam at math.binghamton.edu
Sun Oct 4 20:49:36 EDT 2015

DEAN'S LECTURE IN GEOMETRY AND TOPOLOGY

   Date: Thursday, October 8th, 2015

   Time:  2.50 pm

   Place: Whitney Hall, Room 100E,  followed by coffee/tea in the
      Hilton Reading Room. Note the new location of the math department (
http://www2. <http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>
math.binghamton.edu <http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>
/p/directions <http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/directions>).

   Speaker:  *Christopher Croke* (University of Pennsylvania)

   Title:  *Geometric Rigidity Problems*

    Abstract: In this talk we introduce some geometric rigidity problems
that ask if you can determine a compact Riemannian manifold with boundary
from measurements taken from the outside. The problems includes the
boundary rigidity problem: Can you determine the metric inside if you know
the distances (measured through the inside) between all pairs of boundary
points? The lens rigidity problem: Can you determine the metric if you know
how each entering geodesic exits and how long it takes to exit? We will
present some counterexamples and some theorems as well as mention some
relations to other problems and potential applications.

NOTE:  The seminar has a webpage where the semester's program is listed:

http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/seminars/topsem