[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Robert Kropholler (Tufts University)

jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Oct 9 10:17:10 EDT 2017

Speaker: Robert Kropholler (Tufts University)
Title: Uncountably many QI classes of groups of type FP

Abstract: The first groups of type FP which were not of type F were
discovered by Bestvina and Brady in 1997. More recently Leary has shown
that there are uncountably many groups of type FP.

In 1998 Bowditch showed that there uncountably many QI classes of
2-generator groups.

In joint work with Ian Leary and Ignat Soroko, we combine these ideas and
prove there are uncountably many QI classes of groups of type FP. I will
discuss the previous work of Bestvina, Brady, Bowditch and Leary leading
up to this project and then talk about how these elements come together.

Thursday, Oct. 12, 2:50pm, WH-100E
http://www2.math.binghamton.edu/p/seminars/topsem