[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Ramon Vera (Institute of Mathematics, UNAM)

jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Oct 16 17:24:21 EDT 2017

Title: Poisson Structures and Near-symplectic Manifolds

Abstract: In this talk we will show a connection between two singular
geometric structures: near-symplectic forms and Poisson structures.
Near-symplectic forms were introduced by Taubes as a way of generalizing
symplectic topology in dimension 4. These structures are closely related
to broken Lefschetz fibrations, which can be seen as extensions of
Lefschetz pencils. We will describe some aspects of near-symplectic
manifolds in any dimension 2n.  On the other hand, Poisson structures have
their origin in Classical Mechanics. A Poisson bivector naturally
determines a singular foliation by symplectic leaves. We will discuss the
link between these geometries and some features of their Poisson
cohomology. This is joint work with P. Batakidis.

Thursday, Oct. 19, 2:50pm, WH-100E