[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] Jun Zhang

jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Sep 11 07:18:07 EDT 2017

Jun Zhang (Tel Aviv University)
Title: Applications of persistent homology in symplectic and Riemannian
geometry

Abstract: In this talk, I will start from a brief introduction of
persistent homology and its related formulations from the perspective of
symplectic geometry, especially in various forms of Floer theory. Then I
will quickly demonstrate via several examples how persistent homology is
used in symplectic geometry, for instance in solving some (Hamiltonian)
dynamical problems. Finally, I will focus on a recent work (joint with V.
Stojisavljevic) on an application in Riemannian geometry - quantitatively
comparing Riemannian metrics, which is based on a newly developed concept
called symplectic Banach-Mazur distance.

Thursday, Sept. 14, 2:50pm, WH-100E