[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Extra talk by Vaughan Jones **Special time**

jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Apr 9 10:27:32 EDT 2018

This week, Vaughan Jones will give a seminar talk in addition to the 2018
Hilton Memorial Lecture.

Thursday, April 12
**Special time** 1:15pm
**Normal place** WH-100E

The Hilton lecture follows almost immediately at 3pm in AA-G023.

Title: The Wysiwyg representations of the Thompson groups

Abstract: I will describe a general construction of actions of Thompson’s
groups F, T and V and focus on a special kind - unitary representations on
a (necessarily infinite dimensional) Hilbert space, coming from very
simple combinatorial data. They can be approached via their matrix
coefficients which are literally visible. There are many open questions
but at least for one family of combinatorial data we can decide
equivalence and irreducibility.