[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] This week: Akram Alishahi

jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu
Sun Apr 15 19:40:05 EDT 2018

Speaker: Akram Alishahi (Columbia)

Title: Khovanov homology and unknotting number

Abstract: Khovanov homology is a combinatorially-defined knot invariant
which refines the Jones polynomial. In this talk we will recall the
definition of Khovanov homology and one of its refined versions called
Bar-Natan homology, and we will show that the order of h-torsion classes
in Bar-Natan homology gives a lower bound for unknotting number.

Thursday, April 19, 2:50pm in WH-1000E

Please email me if you can come to lunch at noon or dinner at 6.