[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] This week: Jamie Conway

jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Apr 30 09:15:49 EDT 2018

For the final meeting this semester, we have Jamie Conway of UC Berkeley.

Title: Classifying Contact Structures on Hyperbolic 3-Manifolds

Abstract: Two of the basic questions in contact topology are which
manifolds admit tight contact structures, and on those that do, can we
classify such structures. In dimension 3, these questions have been
answered for large classes of manifolds, but notably not on any hyperbolic
manifolds. In this talk, I will discuss a new classification result on an
infinite family of hyperbolic 3-manifolds arising from Dehn surgery on the
figure-eight knot. This is joint work with Hyunki Min.

2018-05-03, 2:50pm in WH-100E