[Binghamton Geometry/Topology Seminar] This week: Russell Ricks

jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu
Tue Feb 6 16:34:03 EST 2018

This week we have Russell Ricks (Binghamton University).

Title:
A Rank Rigidity Result for Certain Nonpositively Curved Spaces via
Spherical Geometry

Abstract:
To understand the geometry of nonpositively curved (NPC) spaces, it is
natural  to classify the various types of spaces that can occur.  The Rank
Rigidity Theorem for compact NPC manifolds separates the class of compact
NPC manifolds into three very distinct types, and proves that nothing else
can exist.

A version of Rank Rigidity has been conjectured for more general NPC
spaces (CAT(0) spaces). In this talk, we discuss some progress toward this
general conjecture, by reducing the problem to looking at patterns on
spheres.  In particular, we prove the conjecture for certain NPC spaces
with one-dimensional boundary. Unlike previous results in this area, there
are no additional constraints on the CAT(0) space (such as a manifold or
polyhedral structure).

Thursday, Feb. 8, 2:50pm in WH-100E