[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Algebra crosspost

jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu
Tue Feb 27 10:10:27 EST 2018

This seminar is today at 2:50 in WH-100E. Sorry for the late notice.
Philip is having trouble posting to topsem, or I'm having trouble figuring
out the settings...
-Jonathan

Dear All,

The algebra seminar this week may be of interest to some in the
topology/geometry group. See below for the title and abstract.

Cheers,

Phillip

Speaker: Bruno Duchesne (L’Institut Élie Cartan de Lorraine).

Title: Kaleidoscopic groups

Abstract: Inspired by Burger-Mozes construction of universal groups acting
a regular tree, we construct universal groups with a prescribed local
action on dendrites. Dendrites are compacta that can be thought as
continuous analogs of trees. The groups we construct are Polish groups
with nice properties that reflect the higher transitivity properties of a
given (infinite) permutation group. No knowledge of dendrites or Polish
groups is required. This is joint work with Nicolas Monod and Phillip
Wesolek.