[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] talk today!

jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu
Thu Oct 18 13:54:49 EDT 2018

All,
I forgot to email earlier, I'm sorry. There is a talk today by Moshe Cohen
of Vassar:

Title: Random knotting and billiard table diagrams

Abstract: We begin with a brief introduction to knot theory and proceed to
a discussion of various models for randomness used to study knots. We then
introduce a truncated model that allows us to get explicit probability
formulae.

Koseleff and Pecker show that all knots can be parametrized by Chebyshev
polynomials in three dimensions. These long knots can be realized as
trajectories on billiard table diagrams. We use this knot diagram model to
study random knot diagrams by flipping a coin at each 4-valent vertex of
the trajectory.

We truncate this model to study 2-bridge knots together with the unknot.
We give the exact probability of a knot arising in this model.
Furthermore, we give the exact probability of obtaining a knot with
crossing number c.

This is joint work with Chaim Even-Zohar and Sunder Ram Krishnan.

Thursday (today), 2:50pm in WH-100E.