[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] This week: Matt Zaremsky

jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu jwilliams at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Apr 8 13:06:38 EDT 2019

Our speaker this week is Matt Zaremsky of University at Albany. We'll meet
as usual at 2:50pm in WH 100E on Thursday, April 11. There will be an
early dinner so the he can drive back by 6:30, and all are invited.

Title: Bestvina-Brady Morse theory on Vietoris-Rips complexes

Abstract: Discrete Morse theory is a powerful tool for leveraging “local”
topological information about a cell complex to make “global” topological
conclusions. One prominent incarnation is the version developed by
Bestvina and Brady, which has proven invaluable in the study of
topological finiteness properties of groups. In this talk I will discuss a
generalization of Bestvina-Brady Morse theory that is tailor-made for
analyzing Vietoris-Rips complexes of certain metric spaces. I will also
discuss some applications to topological data analysis and geometric group
theory.