[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] This week: Ian Frankel

sapir at math.binghamton.edu sapir at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Nov 11 15:01:18 EST 2019

This week we will meet as usual on Thursday, November 14 at 2:50pm in
WH 100E.

We will go to lunch with the speaker at 12:30 on Thursday (meet by my
office, WH213) and dinner after the talk at a location that is to be
determined.

Speaker: Ian Frankel (Queens University)
Title: Quantitative recurrence and hyperbolicity in Teichmüller space

Abstract: The moduli space of compact hyperbolic surfaces of genus g>1
has a metric which displays geometric and dynamical properties similar to
the properties of hyperbolic surfaces. In particular, we will describe a
Teichmüller space analog of the basic fact from hyperbolic geometry: if
two geodesics in hyperbolic space converge to the same point on the
boundary, then the distance between them decreases exponentially.