[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Geometry/Topology seminar: Cary Malkiewich

Cary Malkiewich malkiewich at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Feb 10 13:41:05 EST 2020

Hi everyone,

This week I'll give the first talk of the Geometry/Topology seminar, as
usual at 2:50pm in WH-100E. Title and abstract are below. Next week we'll
have Michael Ching from Amherst.

Cheers,
Cary

Cary Malkiewich (Binghamton University)
Title: The equivariant parametrized h-cobordism theorem
Abstract: The classical h-cobordism theorem plays a critical role in the
classification of high-dimensional smooth manifolds up to diffeomorphism.
The “parametrized” or “higher” h-cobordism theorem of Waldhausen gives
access to the rest of the diffeomorphism group Diff(M) in a stable range,
using algebraic K-theory. I will describe recent and ongoing work with Tom
Goodwillie and Mona Merling on the G-equivariant form of Waldhausen's
theorem when G is a finite group.