[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Geometry and Topology seminar: James Hyde

Cary Malkiewich malkiewich at math.binghamton.edu
Tue Feb 25 10:07:56 EST 2020

Hi everyone,

This week we are very pleased to have James Hyde (Cornell) speaking in the
geometry and topology seminar. The title and abstract are below. As usual,
the talk is at 2:50pm in WH-100E.

Please let me know if you would like to come to the dinner after!

Cheers,
Cary

Title: Sufficient conditions for a group of homeomorphisms of the Cantor
set to be 2-generated
Abstract: We say a group G of homeomorphisms of the Cantor set is vigorous
if for any non-empty clopen set A and non-empty proper clopen subsets B and
C of A there exists g in G wholly supported on A with Bg a subset of C.
This talk represents joint work with Collin Bleak and Luke Elliott. We will
also discuss some properties of vigorous simple groups of homeomorphisms of
the Cantor set. In particular finitely generated vigorous simple groups of
homeomorphisms of the Cantor set are 2-generated.