[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Seminar This Week

Matthew R Haulmark haulmark at binghamton.edu
Mon Nov 16 17:35:49 EST 2020

Hi everyone,

This week our speaker is Bena  Tshishiku  of Brown University. Links and
details are below.

Zoom link for the seminar, 2:50 - 3:50:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/94057178271

Zoom link for the coffee, 12:30 - 1:30:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/96674397432
*Title: * Arithmeticity of free-abelian by cyclic groups

*Abstract: * We discuss arithmeticity of groups G(A) = ℤ^n ⋊ ℤ, where ℤ
acts on ℤ^n by powers of an irreducible, hyperbolic matrix A ∈ GL(n,ℤ). The
question of when G(A) is arithmetic was studied systematically by
Grunewald-Platonov, but there are basic things that we still don't know.
For example, for what values of n is there an arithmetic example? We
discuss some progress toward answering this question.

See you on Thursday!

Best,

Matt