[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Seminar This Week

Matthew R Haulmark haulmark at binghamton.edu
Mon Oct 19 18:47:27 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

This week our speaker is Francisco Arana Herrera. The title and abstract
are below. The links for the talk and coffee are:

Zoom link for the seminar, 2:50 - 3:50:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/94057178271

Zoom link for the coffee, 12:30 - 1:30:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/96674397432

*Title: Counting hyperbolic multi-geodesics with respect to the lengths of
individual components. *

*Abstract: *In her thesis, Mirzakhani showed that on any closed hyperbolic
surface of genus g, the number of simple closed geodesics of length at
most L is asymptotic to a polynomial in L of degree 6g-6. Wolpert
conjectured that analogous results should hold for more general countings
of multi-geodesics that keep track of the lengths of individual components.
In this talk, we will present a proof of this conjecture which combines
techniques and results of Mirzakhani with ideas introduced by Margulis in
his thesis.

See you on Thursday!

Best,

Matt