[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Thursday Seminar

Matthew R Haulmark haulmark at binghamton.edu
Mon Sep 21 14:39:34 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

Our speaker this week is me. Here are the details.

Title: *Introduction to relatively hyperbolic groups and Bowditch
boundaries*

*Abstract: * The notion of a group being hyperbolic relative to class of
subgroups was introduced by Gromov to generalize word hyperbolic and
geometrically finite Kleinian groups. Associated to a group with a
relatively hyperbolic structure is a compact metric space called the
Bowditch boundary. The topology of this boundary can provide information
about the group. In this talk, we will introduce relatively hyperbolicity
for finitely generated groups. We will also discuss the Bowditch boundary
and survey some results. The goal of this lecture is to prepare the
audience for Ashani Dasgupta's talk the following week.

Zoom link for the seminar, 2:50 - 3:50:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/94057178271

Zoom link for the coffee, 12:30 - 1:30:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/96674397432