[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Seminar This Week

Matthew R Haulmark haulmark at binghamton.edu
Mon Apr 12 12:45:15 EDT 2021

 Hi everyone,

This week our speaker will be Nate Fisher from Tufts University. Here are
the details.

*Title:*  Boundaries, random walks, and nilpotent groups

*Abstract: * In this talk, we will discuss boundaries and random walks in
the Heisenberg group. We will discuss a class of sub-Finsler metrics on the
Heisenberg group which arise as the asymptotic cones of word metrics on the
integer Heisenberg group and describe new results on the boundaries of
these polygonal sub-Finsler metrics. After that, we will explore
experimental work to examine the asymptotic behavior of random walks in
this group. Parts of this work are joint with Sebastiano Nicolussi Golo.

Zoom link for the seminar, 2:50 - 3:50:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/94057178271

Zoom link for the coffee, 12:30 - 1:30:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/96674397432