[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Seminar

Matthew R Haulmark haulmark at binghamton.edu
Mon Feb 22 07:20:20 EST 2021

 Hi everyone,

This week we will be having our first talk of the semester. Our speaker
will be Christopher Perez from Loyola University New Orleans. Here are the
details.

*Title:* Towers and elementary embeddings in toral relatively hyperbolic
groups

*Abstract:  *In a remarkable series of papers, Zlil Sela classified the
first-order theories of free groups and torsion-free hyperbolic groups
using geometric structures he called towers. It was later proved by Chloé
Perin that if H is an elementarily embedded subgroup (or elementary
submodel) of a torsion-free hyperbolic group G, then G is a tower over H.
We prove a generalization of Perin's result to toral relatively hyperbolic
groups using JSJ and shortening technique*s *

Zoom link for the seminar, 2:50 - 3:50:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/94057178271

Zoom link for the coffee, 12:30 - 1:30:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/96674397432