[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Fwd: Seminar This Week

Matthew R Haulmark haulmark at binghamton.edu
Thu Mar 4 11:20:39 EST 2021

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that today our speaker will be Kevin Schreve from the
University of Chicago. See you there!

Title: Generalized Tits Conjecture for Artin groups

Abstract: In 2001, Crisp and Paris showed the squares of the standard
generators of an Artin group generate an "obvious" right-angled Artin
subgroup.  This resolved an earlier conjecture of Tits. I will introduce a
generalization of this conjecture, where we ask that a larger set of
elements generates another "obvious" right-angled Artin subgroup.
I will give evidence that this is a good generalization, explain what
classes of Artin groups we can prove it for, and give some applications.
All of it is joint work with Kasia Jankiewicz.

Zoom link for the seminar, 2:50 - 3:50:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/94057178271

Zoom link for the coffee, 12:30 - 1:30:
https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/96674397432