[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Geometry and Topology seminar: Rachel Skipper

Cary Malkiewich malkiewich at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Feb 14 10:49:44 EST 2022

Hi everyone,

This week we are pleased to have Rachel Skipper (Ohio State) speaking about
braided Higman-Thompson groups, title and abstract below. As usual, the
talk will be on Thursday at 2:50pm in WH 100E.

The speaker will be delivering the talk remotely, and we'll project it in
WH 100E. In case you can't make it and would like to join remotely, you can
join at the link:

https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/94800072611

The "seminar lunch" will again be at the picnic table just outside the main
entrance a little after 12pm (in case you need to go pick up food and bring
it back). Anyone is welcome to join!

Best,
Cary

Title: Finiteness properties for braided and ribboned groups of
homeomorphisms of the Cantor Set
Abstract: The braided Higman-Thompson groups were first introduced
independently by Brin and Dehornoy. In this talk, we talk about some
generalizations of this construction as well as how to braid self-similar
groups. The focus of the talk will be on some recent work about finiteness
properties of the resulting groups and how they fit into the growing field
of big mapping class groups.