[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] Geometry and Topology seminar: Gabriel Islambouli

Cary Malkiewich malkiewich at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Mar 7 10:48:32 EST 2022

Hi everyone,

This week we are pleased to have Gabriel Islambouli (UC Davis) speaking
about 4-manifolds, title and abstract below. As usual, the talk will be on
Thursday at 2:50pm in WH 100E.

The speaker will be delivering the talk remotely, and we'll project it in
WH 100E. In case you can't make it and would like to join remotely, you can
join at the link:

https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/94800072611

We'll make a call about seminar lunch depending on the weather.

Best,
Cary

Title: Stable equivalence of smooth 4-manifolds described as sequences of
handlebodies
Abstract: Following constructions of numerous authors, one can build a
smooth 4-manifold from a loop of Morse functions on a surface, a loop in
the cut complex, a loop in the pants complex, or from a multisection
diagram. In this talk, we will discuss these constructions, as well as
outline a stable equivalence theorem for these descriptions so that, for
example, any two loops of Morse functions on a surface corresponding to the
same smooth 4-manifold are related by a sequence of given operations.