[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] GT-Seminar Meenakshy Jyothis speaking

Jose Roman Aranda Cuevas jaranda at binghamton.edu
Mon Nov 7 13:38:15 EST 2022

Hi everyone,

This week we are pleased to have our very own Meenakshy Jyothis speaking
about her work on geodesic currents, title, and abstract below. This will
be an *in-person talk*, today Thursday at 2:50 pm in WH 100E.

We will also have a lunch social, meeting at 12 pm just outside WH100E. See
you there!

Best,
Cary and Roman

Speaker: Meenakshy Jyothis (Binghamton)
Title: Automorphisms of geodesic currents the preserves intersection form
Abstract: In this talk we will be looking at Ivanov's conjecture in the
context of geodesic currents. The space of geodesic currents generalizes
various objects of interest on a surface, such as the set of closed curves
up to homotopy and the Teichmüller space. I will talk about a particular
group of automorphisms of this space and will compare it to the mapping
class group.

Invanov's conjectured that every object naturally associated to a surface
and having a `sufficiently rich' structure has mapping class group as its
groups of automorphisms. It is already known that the conjecture holds true
for various combinatorial objects associated with a surface as well as for
the Teichmüller space of a surface.