[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] GT Seminar: Nobutaka Asano speaking on Thursday

Jose Roman Aranda Cuevas jaranda at binghamton.edu
Mon Nov 28 09:33:15 EST 2022

 Hi everyone,

This week we are pleased to have *Nobutaka Asano* from the National
Institute of Technology, Tsuyama College, speaking about invariants of
4-manifolds. The talk will be on *Thursday at 2:50 pm Eastern Standard Time
(GMT -5).*

The speaker will deliver the talk remotely, and we'll project it in WH
100E. In case you can't make it and would like to join remotely, you can
join at the link:

https://binghamton.zoom.us/j/2060048595

As usual, there will be a lunch gathering at noon on Thursday outside
WH100E. See you there!

Best,
Cary and Roman

*Title:* Some lower bounds for the Kirby-Thompson invariant of 4-manifolds

*Abstract:* A trisection is a decomposition of a closed 4-manifold X into a
3-tuple of 4-dimensional 1-handlebodies, which was introduced by Gay and
Kirby. Kirby and Thompson defined an invariant of X by using trisections.
This invariant is called the Kirby-Thompson invariant. In this talk, we
give some lower bounds for the Kirby-Thompson invariant of certain
4-manifolds. As an application, we find the first example of a 4-manifold
whose Kirby-Thompson invariant is non-zero. This is a joint work with
Hironobu Naoe (Chuo University) and Masaki Ogawa (Saitama University).