[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] GT Seminar: Thomas Brazelton speaks on Thursday

Cary Malkiewich malkiewich at math.binghamton.edu
Mon Oct 31 12:13:52 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

This week we are pleased to have Thomas Braelton (Penn) speaking about
enumerative geometry in the presence of a group action. This will be an *in
person talk*, on Thursday at 2:50pm in WH 100E.

We will meet at noon outside WH100E to take the speaker to lunch. See you
there!

Remember we will also have a colloquium by Avy Soffer, after Thomas's talk
(and cookies!) are over.

Best,
Cary and Roman

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Title: Equivariant enumerative geometry
Abstract: Classical enumerative geometry asks geometric questions of the
form "how many?" and expects an integral answer. For example, how many
circles can we draw tangent to a given three? How many lines lie on a cubic
surface? The fact that these answers are well-defined integers, independent
upon the initial parameters of the problem, is Schubert’s principle of
conservation of number. In this talk we will outline a program of
"equivariant enumerative geometry", which wields equivariant homotopy
theory to explore enumerative questions in the presence of symmetry. Our
main result is equivariant conservation of number, which states roughly
that the sum of regular representations of the orbits of solutions to an
equivariant enumerative problem are conserved.