[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] GT Seminar: Maru Sarazola

Jose Roman Aranda Cuevas jaranda at binghamton.edu
Thu Apr 13 09:15:09 EDT 2023

Hi everyone,

This week we are pleased to have Maru Sarazola (Johns Hopkins) speaking
about model categories, title, and abstract below. This will be an *in-person
talk*, this Thursday at 2:50 pm in WH 100E.

We will also take the speaker to lunch at noon, and to dinner after the
talk. If you would like to join us for lunch, meet us today Thursday at 12
pm just outside WH100E. See you there!

Best,
Cary and Roman

*Title:* Fibrant transfer for model structures
*Abstract:* Model structures are robust categorical structures that provide
an abstract framework to do homotopy theory. Unfortunately, in practice it
is often very hard to prove that something satisfies the requirements of a
model structure. To this end, there are several results in the literature
that explore techniques for constructing model structures on a given
category. Of particular note is the Transfer theorem, allowing the user to
transfer a model structure along an adjunction.

After a review of model structures, this talk will present a new
generalization of the transfer theorem where the relevant homotopical
structure is only transferred between fibrant objects. Time permitting, we
will explore some applications. Based on recent work with Leonard Guetta,
Lyne Moser and Paula Verdugo.