[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] GT Seminar: Thomas Koberda

Jose Roman Aranda Cuevas jaranda at binghamton.edu
Thu Mar 23 08:45:34 EDT 2023

Hi everyone,

This week we are pleased to have Thomas Koberda (U Virginia) speaking about
homeomorphism groups, title, and abstract below. This will be an *in-person
talk*, *TODAY Thursday* at 2:50 pm in WH 100E.

We will also take the speaker to lunch at noon, and to dinner after the
talk. If you would like to join us for lunch, meet us today Thursday at 12
pm just outside WH100E. See you there!

Best,
Cary and Roman

*Title*: The first order theory of homeomorphism groups of compact manifolds
*Abstract*: I will describe some recent work on the first order theory of
homeomorphism groups of manifolds. I will discuss a new result which shows
that the homeomorphism groups of two compact manifolds are elementarily
equivalent if and only if the two manifolds are homeomorphic, which
resolves an old conjecture of Rubin. I will then describe some of the
expressive power of the language of groups in the theory of homeomorphism
groups, with implications for the subgroup structure of homeomorphism
groups, and for the descriptive set theory of these groups.