[Binghamton Geometry Topology Seminar] GT Seminar: Alexander (Sander) Kupers

Cary Malkiewich malkiewich at math.binghamton.edu
Tue May 2 09:06:44 EDT 2023

Hi everyone,

This week we are pleased to have Alexander Kupers (U Toronto) speaking
about characteristic classes, title and abstract below. This will be
an *in-person
talk*, Thursday at 2:50 pm in WH 100E.

We will also take the speaker to lunch at noon, and to dinner after the
talk. If you would like to join us for lunch, meet us today Thursday at 12
pm just outside WH100E. See you there!

Best,
Cary and Roman
*Title:* Pontryagin classes of Euclidean space bundles
*Abstract:* Tangent bundles of smooth manifolds are vector bundles, and
tangent bundles of topological manifolds are Euclidean space bundles.
Characteristic classes of vector bundles, like the Pontryagin classes, also
make sense to Euclidean space bundles, but surprisingly behave very
differently. I will explain recent joint work with Manuel Krannich on this
topic, with a focus on the relationship to diffeomorphism groups of discs.